This week I asked one of our students who is working on the Nieuport 24 project to give me some information about him for this week’s blog. He gave me the following information which basically says it all about him and our students. The students here want to follow their dreams in becoming a part of this exciting lifestyle. Working on a WW1 aircraft or fixing space vehicles it is all aviation and to get started in this life long carreer Kyle is learning from our highly qualified General, Airframe, PowerpPlant and Avionics instructors to help him reach his goals. Kyle said he saw a pamphlet about our school from a friend in New Jersey and it sparked his interest so he called to receive more information which led him to our school in Chesapeake, Virginia. He is glad he made the decision to come here and being part of the WW1 project is just icing on the cake!

My name is Kyle Decker. When I was a child, my father took me to a large air base in central New Jersey close to where we lived to see an air show. From that day on I was dazed every time a plane flew over my head. I have always been amazed at what we have accomplished in the aviation industry. My passion for airplanes and space vehicles drives me to learn and succeed. I hope to one day work on aircraft that may push humans into the outer reaches of space. On October 2nd, I and a few other students were privileged to witness the great sound of a brand new engine firing for the first time on our very own Nieuport project airplane. The plane is a great legend as it served as a fighter aircraft during and between the First World War. Like the very first aircraft it has essential lift, pitch, and yaw systems. But unlike modern aircraft, the entire aircraft seems much simpler to pilot than a conventional cockpit with a seemingly endless amount of knobs and buttons. I am proud to have been a part of this project and hope to continue my education here at the Aviation Institute of Maintenance.

Last week Kyle was busy sanding down a wing and applying a protective coating to the wing and various side/top former. Also in the last picture Mr. Joe Eggers, who is the project manager for this aircraft is giving a lesson to some students about how the carburetor heat system will function. On a side note I have tried to post information with detail pictures so others can see exactly what we are doing and to highlight our aviation students who are doing the work. This week I am passing on the torch to others to make posts for this blog and I am looking forward to reading about this project as it gets close to becoming one of the finest WW1 airworthy aircraft replicas made. Brad Groom

Please click on all pictures to enlarge. Thank you.

Follow your aviation dreams, give us a call.