International Information


Student Services

Thank you for visiting our USA travel and visa student request page. If you are an international student who would like to study in the USA, the Aviation Institute of Maintenance offers various Airframe & Powerplant programs. The Aviation Institute of Maintenance is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approves our training programs.

international student information

International Address


International Admissions Requirements

International applicants must meet all of the general admissions requirements. In addition, they must meet the following requirements:

  • Applicants whose primary language is not English must provide verification of English language proficiency by meeting one of the following requirements:
    • Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 55
    • Minimum IELTS score of 5.5
  • Applicants must demonstrate the ability to meet tuition and other financial obligations or the ability to qualify for financial aid as an eligible non-citizen.
  • Applicants must obtain the proper visa.

The FAA requirement for successful A&P certification mandates the candidate read, write, and speak in the English language. Not all campuses are accepting international students at this time. Please see individual campus for details.

  • Proof of successful completion of a secondary school program that is equivalent to high school in the United States. Verification of International Diplomas and/or Certificates is accomplished using a corporate-approved credential translation and evaluation service.
  • Valid passport with an expiration date at least 6 months past the course completion date.
  • Certification of financial ability to meet tuition and other necessary expenses or ability to qualify for financial aid as an eligible non-citizen.

AIM international applicants are reminded that the FAA requirement for successful A&P certification mandates the candidate read, write and speak in the English language. Students abroad who wish to study at our aviation maintenance school in the USA are encouraged to contact us through the student request form on this page. Additional information and instructions will be provided for you upon request. We have knowledgeable admissions representatives who may be able to answer questions about study, international student visa and travel in the USA.

Please provide as many details as possible so we can help you reach your goals and process your request faster.

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Aviation Institute of Maintenance – SEVIS approved.

Frequently Asked Questions


AIM offers both degree and certificate programs and offers F-1 and M-1 student visas.

If you are in the United States on a visa other than either an F-1 or M-1 visa, you may still be able to study with us.
There are restrictions on each type of visa.

An F-1 student is a non-immigrant student attending an academic program resulting in a 2 or 4 year degree. An M-1 student is a non-immigrant student attending a non-academic trade or vocational school, which has been approved by INS to offer such training.

Only after all documentation are received and verified by us. We will then send you an official Acceptance Letter to take to the Embassy.

  • Original Bank Statement(s) showing sufficient funds for the entire term of the program
  • If you have a sponsor, they will need to provide their bank statement and a sponsorship letter
  • International Passport
  • Receipt documenting payment of I-901 fee
  • Signed Enrollment Agreement
  • Acceptance Letter
  • I-20 Form
  • Documentation proving you have a vested interest in returning to your home country after completing your studies
  1. Complete the International Student Application.
  2. Language Proficiency – Students that can document having attended secondary school or college, where the language of instruction was English for at least five years may not be required to provide additional proof of English competency. If concerns are raised during the admissions process regarding their English comprehension, the representative may require the applicant to provide test results. When required to provide written proof, one of the following minimum scores are required to be met: IELTS – 5.5; TOEFL iBT – 55; TOEFL Paper – 475 OR PTE Academic Test – 42. A Duolingo score of 80 is also acceptable.
  3. Senior Secondary School Certificate: Transcripts will be sent to a third-party evaluator to determine if the education is equal to or greater than U.S. 12th grade education. For transcripts from institutes of higher education, the representative may waive this requirement.
  4. Proof of Finances: Bank statements should show at least $26,000 USD and must be no more than 30 days old. If the bank statement is not that of the applicant, the applicant may apply with support of a sponsor(s). Sponsors may be parents, family, friends, employers, government or other bonified sponsors. We will accept the bank statement of the sponsor when accompanied with a sponsorship letter.
  5. Copy of International Passport: Expiration date valid six months beyond expected graduation date. The FAA requirement for successful A&P certification mandates the candidate read, write, and speak in the English language. Not all campuses are accepting international students at this time. Please see individual campus for details.

  • An International Student Application Form completed in full, signed and dated.
  • Meet the English Language requirements noted above (unless your school transcripts show you passed five or more years of English).
  • Provide a copy of your secondary education transcript, or college transcript for validation
  • Proof of finances as stated above. This should indicate you have sufficient funds available to cover the first academic year as well as your living expenses (which includes lodging, meals, transportation, etc.)
  • Current original bank Statement(s), not older than 30 days.
  • A copy of the cover page from your International Passport.

Yes, you can fax or e-mail all your required documents to us. You will need your originals with you when you go to the Embassy and when you arrive at the school.

No, there are no fees taken until a student visa has been issued. Once approved, an Orientation Fee of $500 is collected which covers the admissions fees, first night lodging and meals, before touring the campus the following day.

Yes, AIM offers international students a $2,500 AIM High scholarship for those that meet the requirements.  A 3.0 GPA and a recommendation from a counselor or employer are required.  We also offer a competitive merit scholarship for $15,000.  There are 18 merit scholarships available in six regions.  Requires a high scholastic achievement, 3 recommendations requested and a well written SA.

No. Your living expenses are separate from tuition.  Student Services has several options to recommend dependent on your financial ability and lifestyle.

Most students live near the campus they attend.  Some choose to share apartments with other students or secure housing with family or friends.  Student Services offers housing referral assistance. Each campus will arrange for housing international students before their arrival. You are expected to pay for at least 6 months’ rent in advance. If you have family or friends you can stay with, that will clearly help you with your finances.  If attending college on an F-1 student visa, students are permitted to work outside of the college beginning with their second academic year.  The employment must be approved and cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

Each campus presents a different situation. Some cities have public transportation (trains or buses) that stops at or near the campus. Many of our students share rides with one another from nearby apartments and some use bicycles or motorized bikes as they reside near the campus.

Each campus has a wide variety of hands-on training aids and full-sized aircraft of different types. However, we do not have large commercial jets onsite at our schools nor are they required by the FAA. You will experience hands-on-training utilizing a variety of different engines, to include commercial, and a variety of general and business aviation aircraft.

Yes. We have contacts with hundreds of companies, and many of these visit our campuses throughout the year to interview students and recent graduates. Our Career Services department can help you prepare your résumé, practice interviewing and help you make connections with these employers. As aviation is a global industry, AIM also works with industry partners around the world with opportunities for our graduates worldwide.

That depends on many different factors. We offer initial training for those seeking their FAA A&P License. Your best course of action is to contact the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) at their website ( ) and let them tell you if your training and experience is acceptable toward the A&P License. Based on their answer, we may be able to help you.

There are only two paths for earning your FAA Mechanic Certificate:

  1. Attend a certified FAA Aviation Maintenance Technician School.
  2. Based on experience as determined by the FAA under FAR Part 65.

In the latter case, AIM offers a course – Professional Aviation Maintenance Certification (PAMC).  This is a review course that requires the applicant to interview with the FAA to receive their FAA Form 8610-2 that permits AIM to offer the FAA review combined with the (3) written exams and also the Oral and Practical exams required.

Yes. If you would like to take the Airframe or Powerplant program separately, we can assist you.